Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dimension Shifts in Yorkshire

I live in an area in England (Yorkshire) which is rural but still close to urban areas. Sometimes my husband and I go to the farm shop for our veggies, salad and meat. In order to get to the farm shop, we have to go through my sister's village and past her house, which is set next to a church.

During the late summer of 2007, we decided to go and get some shopping. The air quality that day did seem rather different than usual in that it seemed quite thick -- enough for us to comment that people with asthma might find it difficult to breathe. It wasn't particularly hot, just atmospheric (for wont of a better description). It is instinct for us to look at my sister's house as we go past to see if we can see her or my brother-in-law in the garden.

On the way back from the shop, we had a very strange experience. We travelled along in silence. We didn't even have the radio on, which is unusual for us, but we were happy just thinking about nothing. I was looking out of the window to my left, ready to wave if I saw my sister or brother-in-law. Suddenly, I felt strange inside; a weird feeling difficult to explain. A sort of whooshing sensation speeding through my body. At the same time as this strange feeling, I noticed with panic that the road we were travelling on had slightly changed. It looked very similar, but the worst thing was that my sister's house was completely missing and the terraced houses that usually surrounded it had taken on a small but significantly different appearance!

Now all of this happened in a flash as we were still travelling in the car at normal speed, only it felt as though we were going at a hundred miles an hour for that split second. As we got past where the house should be, I screamed out in panic for my husband to stop the car. At the exact same time, my husband shouted at me, "Mandy, where has Chris and Alex's house gone? My god, what has just happened?"

He slammed the brakes on and pulled over into the side. As we looked back, we could see the road had returned to normal and the house was back in place. Gobsmacked, we just stared at each other, thinking, "What the hell had just taken place?" Individually without realising it, we had just had the exact same experience at the exact same time.

It felt to us both as if we had just taken a sneaky look at another dimension. The time period had felt the same to us and the road was the same, it had just taken on a slightly different appearance. We felt excited to have had this experience as we are both quite sceptical about such things. It was extraordinary and remains unforgotten.

Now the story deepens a bit. We did not reveal to my sister what had happened until the next day. She was shocked and then went on to inform me that on the evening of our event they had invited some friends (a couple) to their house for a meal. The couple had been to their house many times. When the couple arrived for the meal, they told my sister and husband that they had problems finding the house. Her husband had pulled up outside where the house should be and was told by his wife that "Alex and Chris don't live here."

"Don't be daft," said her husband. "The house should be here. What has happened?" So they drove off in a very confused state back up the road. When they came back down again, the house had reappeared!

All of this on the same day. The couple nor my sister and husband knew nothing of our story at this time. To further add mystery, my sister had seen us go past in the car that day and she had seen the couple pull up outside and drive off again!

Previous story | Next story

Back to index


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment