Saturday, October 8, 2011

Possessed Army Coat

This happened in December, 2010 in Chicago. This account may seem strange, but I swear that it happened and all my family swear by it, too. I'm putting it on this site to ask for advice on what happened to me and my family.

It started when I was looking through a neighbor's yard sale. My husband doesn't like the idea of buying second-hand goods. He thinks that each item has a personal history and he doesn't like getting involved in other people's pasts. He's an expert on this matter because one of his many eccentric hobbies is ghost-hunting. I say eccentric only because at the time I considered it to be nothing more than a quirk of his, not believing in the paranormal myself.

Although I was aware of his concern, I told him not to be silly and went along to the yard sale. I can remember that there wasn't much good stuff on offer, and after purchasing a few tidbits (an old waffle-maker and a few cook books) I was drawn to an old army coat. Despite being vintage, it was in amazingly good condition. I thought my husband might like it because it reminded me of the one Captain Jack wears in Torchwood, one of his favorite television shows.

When I bought it, the lady told me her grandpa had used it in the war and she didn't like being reminded of it anymore. I took it home and decided not to tell him where it had come from, so as not to worry him. I told him it was a replica coat based on the ones from WW2 I'd found in a mall.

He took to the coat, and after discovering that it never got wet, he wore it all the time when outdoors. It was then I noticed something odd about it: if I brought it near the television the picture would flicker. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but after awhile I thought it might be some shrapnel interfering with the signal, but I'm no scientist. At any rate, I decided not to tell my husband so as not to scare him.

At Christmas we had all our family to dinner. Mom asked to see this new coat that I had been raving about, and everyone convinced him to go and get it. Moments later, an old man entered the room. He looked withered and decrepit, scared and scary at the same time. There was a little red blot on his already stained white shirt around his gut that seemed like an open wound.

Everyone gasped with fear. Where had this stranger come from and what was he doing in my husband's coat? Someone plucked up the courage (I think it was my father, although I can't be certain) to ask who he was and what he was doing. He said, "Don't be silly, it's me!" It was then I took in what I had already seen. He was wearing my husband's coat, and he spoke with his voice, too! It was my husband!

We tried to burn the coat (my husband's idea), but just as the thing couldn't get wet, it wouldn't even get slightly singed. I wanted to give it away in a yard sale, but my ghost-hunting husband was against this because he thought it was irresponsible. We tried asking spirits using his EVP equipment, but after putting the results through my husband's software, all we heard was a tortured "Free me...." It was chilling to hear.

We keep the coat in the closet under the stairs now, but it cannot stay there forever. I ask you what to do with the coat. How do we rid it of the spirit without destroying or throwing away the coat?

Previous story | Next story

Back to index


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment