Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Strange Sump Pump Creature

In the spring of 1983, we lived in a small town just north of Toronto named Bolton. It was the rainy time of year, April I think, and due to the rain I decided to check the sump pump in the basement. We'd had a flood the year before when the switch had stuck in the off position.

When I opened the small door where it was located, I was startled to see a small creature staring back at me. I believe it had been drinking water when I surprised him. It was about 3-4" in size and brownish in color. It had long spindly limbs and body and a small head with two largish eyes.

It stared at me as I stared back at it. It cocked its head to one side as though trying to size me up, if you will. It had an absolutely intelligent look about it as though thinking, Uh-oh. You caught me.

It then literally folded its limbs in tight to its body and slipped gracefully into a small crack in the wall where the discharge hose ran through. I couldn't understand what it was or even how it could have fit in that small space and disappeared.

I wonder to this day what it was as I've never seen anything quite like it before or since. The closest thing I could describe it to would be a mantis. Now I've come across mantises from time to time since then, and when I do I will study them closely. However, I don't believe this was a mantis, and I wonder if anyone has ever seen a similar creature.

Previous story | Next story

Back to index


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment